Tortilla Pinwheels Recipe
Tortilla Pinwheels – make ahead flavorful appetizer, easy to prepare for various occasions like birthday parties, baby showers or holiday tables.
To print the recipe check the full recipe on my blog:
Makes about 12 tortillas
3 cups (375g) flour
1/3 cup (70ml) oil
1 tsp (4g) baking powder
1 tsp (5g) salt
3/4 cup (180ml) warm water
Filling – for 5-6 tortillas
Makes about 4 dozen slices
3/4 cup (200g) sour cream
8 oz (220g) cream cheese, softened
3.5 oz (100g) black olives, chopped
1/4 cup chopped red pepper (about 50g)
1 cup (100g) shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup green onion, about 2 springs, chopped
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Salt to taste
1. Prepare the tortillas. In a medium bowl, mix flour with salt and baking powder. Add oil and warm water to the flour mixture. Mix everything together using your hands, knead until smooth and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
2. Cut into 10-12 equal pieces. With a rolling pin, roll out each one to a circle about 9in (23cm) in diameter and 3/4in (1.5-2 mm) thick. they need to be really thin, almost transparent.
3. Preheat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. You don’t need to add any oil or butter. Cook the tortilla on both sides until the dough get brown spots all over the tortilla, that will only take few seconds. Must be very careful and work rapidly as they cook really fast. Don’t over cook so the tortilla remain soft and able to be rolled. Once finished, the tortillas are ready to serve.
4. To store the tortillas, cool completely and place them in a zipper bag and refrigerate up to 5 days. You can also freeze them in plastic freezer bag but make sure to place parchment paper between tortillas to make sure they do not stick.
5. Prepare the filling. In a large bowl, mix the filling ingredients until well combined.
6. Spread over 5-6 tortillas and roll up tightly. Wrap the rolls with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or overnight to blend the flavors.
7. Unwrap the rolls, and using a very good sharp knife cut into 1/2- 3/4-in (1-2 cm) slices. Discard ends. Garnish with parsley and serve with spicy salsa for dipping.